Study Outcomes / Industrial Impact
- Availability of healthy broodstock for breeding.
- Improved breeding technology and induced spawning techniques.
- Improved fertility with high egg fertilisation and high fry survival.
- Tailored nutrition for fry to broodstock.
Technology / Methodology
- Healthy breeders with good reproductive performance developed through customised nutrition and environmental condition monitoring are important for quality egg production and hatchery (Fig 1).
- Selective breeding for desirable traits and artificial fertilisation between selected breeders were performed (Fig 2).
- The facilities and equipment available enabled the monitoring of the entire process of fish growth and development from hatchery, larviculture, fry and fingerling right up to juvenile fish and beyond (Fig 3 & 4).
- Fish health, feed intake, water and environmental conditions were monitored for breeders and fry.
Fig 2. (Left) Genital Examination to Determine the Gender, (Middle) Dissection to Harvest the Gonads, (Right) Male Gonad X400